Everyone loves a great Shepherd’s pie unless you’re vegan or vegetarian. This Vegan Shepherd’s Pie is just as delicious as a typical Shepherd’s pie and will appeal to everyone’s tastes! Filled with vegetables, and seasonings, this pie makes an incredible dinner!
The mashed potatoes that are spread on top develop a beautiful golden brown color and provide a soft crust to hold your pie together. I absolutely love making this dish when my mom visits because she doesn’t like to eat meat.
This is a perfect and healthy meal for the whole family! Aside from tasting great, this Vegan Shepherd’s Pie is incredibly simple to make and turns out looking beautiful every time. Try this for dinner tonight and treat your whole family to something different and unbelievably tasty!
On the NEXT PAGE you can watch a video demonstration of this delicious recipe being made.
- 4 russet potatoes
- 3 carrots
- 3 celery stalks
- 1/2 yellow onion
- 2 cups chopped mushrooms (one package)
- 1 Tbsp. flour
- 1 tsp fresh thyme
- 1 tsp fresh sage
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 cups veggie broth
- 1/3 cup red wine
- soy milk (or rice milk)
- vegan butter
- Peel, chop, and boil the potatoes for 10-15 minutes until soft.
- Meanwhile, chop the carrots, celery, and onion, sauté in vegan butter or oil for a few minutes. Add the mushrooms, and cook until the edges begin to darken. add the garlic, and season with salt and pepper. Add the tomato paste, flour, thyme, and sage. Slowly add the veggie broth and wine, stirring continuously. Let simmer for a few minutes to thicken.
- Mash the potatoes and add the soy milk and vegan butter. Add more if needed until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Lay the veggie filling into a baking dish, the spread the mashed potatoes over top. At this time you can get creative with designs and patterns for the top. The rougher the surface, the crispier it will turn out.
- Spray the surface with cooking oil. Broil for 10-15 minutes, or until the top is crispy