Moroccan Chicken and Rice in a skillet, what could be easier than a meal cooked all in one pot? Cleanup is easy, serving is easy, and cooking is a breeze. Aside from this meal being simple to make, this Moroccan recipe is so good!
You and your family will be devouring this in seconds after it’s served! This recipe is packed with great flavor! Garlic, cinnamon, lemon, cilantro, the list goes on and on! With a few spices and some chicken and rice, you can make this recipe yourself!
The rice soaks up all the flavors and the chicken stock, making it unbelievably good! There really isn’t a way to make this dish any greater than it is.
Cook Temp: 350 Degrees – Cooking Time: 30 Minutes
- 1 cinnamon stick
- ¼ tsp whole black peppercorns
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes (or less, if you like less heat)
- ¼ tsp whole cloves
- 3 Tbs extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for sautéing
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 handful fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1 large pinch saffron
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- a pinch of black pepper, freshly ground
- 5 chicken thighs, bone in, skin on
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 large lemon, zest
- 1 large lemon, juice
- ½ cup Kalamata olives
- 2 cups good quality chicken stock
- 1 lemon for garnish, optional
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a heavy-bottomed pot or pan over medium heat, toast the first 6 ingredients until they start to smoke. Remove from heat and grind to a fine powder in a spice grinder or coffee grinder.*
- In a large bowl, add the oil, spice mix, garlic, ginger, cilantro, saffron, salt and pepper. Mix to a paste. Add the chicken, rubbing the marinade over all the pieces. Cover and refrigerate for two hours to overnight.
- Place the oven-safe heavy-bottomed skillet or pot with a tight fitting lid over medium-high heat. Add 2 tablespoons olive oil. Place the chicken skin side down and brown, approximately 5 minutes per side. Remove the chicken and set aside. Pour off the fat and wipe the pan clean with a paper towel. Warm a tablespoon of olive oil over medium-high heat and add the onions. Cook until softened, about 3 minutes.
- Add the rice and stir to coat. Add the bay leaves, lemon juice, lemon zest, olives, and chicken stock. Bring the contents to a boil, turn off the heat, and place the chicken on top of the rice. Cover tightly with a lid and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the lid, and allow the excess liquid to cook off while in the oven for another 5 -10 minutes. Remove bay leaves and discard. Taste and season to taste, if needed. Serve with sliced lemon and enjoy!
Check out the original source for this recipe with all the directions, photos and helpful tips at: Hapanom.com
My Thanks go to Kathleen at Hapanom for this delicious recipe and featured image.
If you decide to make this recipe, tell us how it turned out and please share any tips you may have for making it even better. Use the comment section below to share. We’d love to hear about your experience.
Follow us on Facebook for even more delicious food and recipe ideas: Recipe Guide
To See More Delicious Dinner Ideas, Please visit our DINNER RECIPES