These crispy Loaded Cheese Stuffed Mashed Potato Balls are filled with a big, gooey chunk of cheddar cheese, green onions, bacon, and flavors of garlic. Since this recipe calls for cold mashed potatoes, this is the PERFECT way to use up the leftover bowl of mashed potatoes you have sitting in your fridge. These are fried so that the outside gets super crispy and delicious, but they’re then baked to make sure the inside reaches a warm, delicious temperature. These have all the delicious flavors of a loaded baked potato, except they’re way more fun and easy to eat because they’re bite sized!
Dip them in a side of sour cream, and you’ll have yourself one of the most creative leftover ideas ever invented. These are super easy to make, so you will have no problem whipping up a batch of these in no time! If you want to leave these vegetarian, leave out the bacon and add some cooked onions or mushrooms instead. Personally, I think the bacon gives these the perfect touch. After all, who doesn’t love bacon? If you are looking for a new and easy recipe to share with your friends and family, you can make these Mashed Potato Balls and they will have no idea you made them out of leftovers!
Loaded Cheese Stuffed Mashed Potato Balls Ingredients:
- 4 Cups Leftover/Cold Mashed Potatoes – prepared to your liking
- 1/2 Cup Sliced Green Onions
- 3/4 Cup Chopped Cooked Bacon
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- 2 Eggs
- Block of Cheddar Cheese – Cut into small cubes
- 1 Cup Flour
- 1 Cup Bread Crumbs
- Oil for frying
- Place cold mashed potatoes into a large mixing bowl. Add Green Onion, Chopped Bacon, Garlic Powder, Black Pepper, and one egg – mix well.
- With lightly floured hands – pick up a tablespoon sized ball of potato mixture and flatten into a small pancake. Place cube of Cheddar in the center and wrap the potato mixture around the cheese. Repeat.
- In three separate bowls, add Flour, Bread Crumbs, and remaining egg (whisked). Coat the potato ball in flour, then egg, then bread crumbs. Coat once more with egg and once more with bread crumbs. Set aside – store in fridge while you wait to fry.
- In a medium pan heat oil over medium/high heat (to approximately 350˚F). Fry the potatoes in batches until browned on all sides. Transfer fried potato balls to paper towels to drain excess oil. Sprinkle with salt. Once all potatoes are fried – transfer to a baking tray and bake in a preheated oven for five minutes at 400˚F (200˚C). Enjoy!
Next Recipe: The Best Garlic Rosemary Mashed Potatoes Recipe