I love spinach and use it whenever I can, both cooked and raw in salads. Although I never would have thought of adding it to Lasagna until my sister ordered it while we were at a restaurant and boy was I IMPRESSED! It was delicious!! I sat there wishing I had ordered that instead of the Chicken Alfredo.
I went looking for a Spinach Lasagna Recipe that seemed as close to the ingredients I had tasted at that fancy Italian Restaurant and think I came close with this one I found from Marzia at Little Spice Jar because it tasted really close to what I remembered and it was just as delicious!
Vegetarian Spinach Lasagna is basically made the same as regular Lasagna but with spinach and no meat. This recipe also includes mushrooms which you can omit if you don’t want them.
Spinach Lasagna Recipe:
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- ½ cup chopped onions
- 2 cups chopped mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 – 10z packages frozen or fresh spinach, defrosted + water squeezed out
- salt + pepper to taste
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 30 oz non-fat ricotta cheese
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 9 whole wheat lasagna noodles, prepared
- 1 jar (24 oz) spaghetti sauce (I used and suggest a tomato basil variety)*
- 2 cups part skim – mozzarella cheese*
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and sauté them for 2 minutes or until they start to just become translucent. Add the chopped mushrooms and continue to cook for 3-4 minutes. Add the garlic, spinach, red pepper flakes, and nutmeg. Sauté for just a minute or so until all the ingredients are well mixed together. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl, combine the ricotta, egg, and parmesan cheese. Add the spinach mixture to the ricotta and stir to combine.
- Position a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Spread a little bit of tomato sauce in the bottom of a 9×13 baking pan. Layer with 3 lasagna noodles, ½ of the spinach mixture, ⅓ of the tomato sauce, and ⅓ of the cheese. Repeat until all the layers are formed. Ending with noodles, sauce, and cheese. Bake covered for 20 minutes and then uncovered for 10 more minutes. Let stand for 10-15 minutes so that the lasagna noodles can soak up all the extra deliciousness. Cut and serve warm.
Much thanks to Marzia for this recipe that can be found at the Little Spice Jar website along with many other delicious recipes.
If you decide to make this Spinach Lasagna Recipe, we’d love to hear what you!
Use the comment section below to share your experiences or tips you may have for improving this recipe.
Follow us on Facebook for even more delicious food and recipe ideas: Delicious Food Guide